Thursday, March 1, 2012

Art Museums

Looky Loo
Art Museums

Talking and looking at pictures of art is always helpful when learning about art, but I feel that to really get a new view and a full grasp of art you need to see it in person. You don't need to go to some fancy pants art museum either, though if possible seeing really famous artwork is always a treat. I've been to a few art museums and have enjoyed them all. Yes you need some patience to go around a building looking at walls but if you find the beauty that is there beyond the 'oh that's pretty' then you might be amazed. 

I've been to a lot of little museums that just show local art (which is good so don't be put off) so I can't name them all. I've also been to a few major and not so major museums such as the Denver Art Museum in Denver, CO, McNay Art Museum in San Antonio, TX, Wichita Art Museum in Wichita, KS. All of them I recommend to go to. The McNay was probably the most memorable for me. I went there in the summer of 2010 with my parents. The McNay is a private collection of Marion Koogler McNay, a female artist who starting collecting artwork in 1927. This collection grew to more than 700 pieces which she left after her death in 1950 to become the first art museum in Texas. Now the museum has over 20,000 pieces of artwork. Many pieces are very well know, including the original Water Lilies by Monet. This piece I never really liked or even understood why it was considered beautiful until I saw it in person. The painting was simply amazing to me. Now I want every chance to go an art museum.

Here are the locations of the three art museums.


McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, TX




Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO


View Larger Map


Wichita Art Museum, Wichita, KS


View Larger Map
View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. Very helpful google maps, and great job incorperating it within your blog... impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Guess I Will Have To Be Heading To Wichita To See Some art!

    ReplyDelete